We chose Palaces for the People: How Social Infrastructure Can Help Fight Inequality, Polarization, and the Decline of Civic Life by Eric Klinenberg for our next quarterly book club meeting at 4:30 PM on January 27. Location TBD.
- 2022 selection for Williamsburg Regional Library’s “ONE BOOK, ONE COMMUNITY” program
- Carrie Cooper, Democracy Initiative co-director and dean of W&M Libraries, helped launch the One Book, One Community program with the Williamsburg Regional Library (WRL), as an initiative to bring together the local community with the William & Mary community for a shared reading experience.
- This year’s selection is a tribute to libraries and the important role they play in building connections. Copies of the book are available at W&M Libraries and WRL.
- Klinenberg will give a book talk to W&M and the local community on February 24.
- “A comprehensive, entertaining, and compelling argument for how rebuilding social infrastructure can help heal divisions in our society and move us forward.”—Jon Stewart
- In Palaces for the People, Eric Klinenberg suggests a way forward in these divided times. He believes that the future of democratic societies rests not simply on shared values but on shared spaces: the libraries, childcare centers, churches, and parks where crucial connections are formed.