The new Advocacy Challenge is out, and your Local League could win! The challenge starts now. This friendly competition measures advocacy, proportionate to the size of your Local League. Winners will be notified at Convention in 2021.
The Virginia General Assembly is already filing bills for the Jan 13, 2021 General Session. Here is how you can prepare:
1. Find your state legislators. Click here: whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov and enter your address in the box. Contact info for your state (not U.S.) senator and delegate will appear at the end of the page. Save it or write it down.
2. Attend a town hall and ask your legislator if they will support priority issues. Visit the Virginia Town Halls tracker here: bit.ly/VATownHalls
If your legislator is not holding a Town Hall, call or write to them.
Reminder: when advocating, we speak as individuals. Only the president speaks on behalf of the League.
3. Look at our current top priorities and talking points; click here. Summary:
- Help people access voting: make permanent the temporary legislation that allowed:
-> Convenient drop off of absentee ballots
-> Removing witness requirement for absentee ballots
-> Letting absentee voters correct procedural errors
- State level pre-clearance of practices restricted under the federal Voting Rights Act
- 100% Right to Vote Constitutional Amendment — protecting the right to vote so it is not taken away upon incarceration
- Campaign Finance Reform
- National Popular Vote
- More Broadband Coverage
4. Log your action! Each time you contact your state delegate and senator, go here to log your action. Bookmark the new link, bit.ly/LWVVAChallenge
It’s time to contact your elected representatives! Start with Step 1 above.